Kindergarten Colts Tips
- On the first day of school, parents are allowed to walk their child directly to their classroom.
- After the first day of school, you will say goodbye to your child in front of the school. You will sign in at the front office if you go inside the building for any reason.
- If your child arrives between 7:30 and 7:40 am, they will go to the cafeteria with the other kindergarteners. A kindergarten teacher will walk the students to their classrooms at 7:40 am. They can read a book or bring something quiet to do while they wait.
- If your child arrives between 7:40 and 7:50 am, they can walk directly to their classroom.
- Staff members are stationed throughout the building to help students as needed.
- You can use the carpool line to drop off or you can park your car and walk your child up to the front door. Please do not park in the teacher lot. Carpool & Parking Instructions PDF
- Students should arrive no later than 7:50 am. Your child will be considered tardy at 7:51 am and will need to enter through the front office.
- Kindergarteners dismiss on the front porch and wait with their class. They dismiss at 3:05 pm, a few minutes before the whole school is dismissed at 3:10.
- Your child will remain next to their teacher until they have found you. Students will let their teacher know you are there through giving a high five, hug, etc.
- If you drive through the carpool line, it is your child’s responsibility to watch for your car.
- If your child is going home with someone other than you, please call the front office or send a note to your child’s teacher.
- If your child is sick, a handwritten note needs to be delivered to the office within three days of your child returning to school.
- If you are taking a vacation or missing school, notify the teacher as soon as possible. You will need to deliver a handwritten note to the office within three days of your child’s return. Please note that these will be unexcused absences.
- Make sure your child wears tennis shoes on PE days.
- A change of clothes to keep in your child’s locker might still be a great precaution as they get used to the kinder routine.
- Most students like to keep a sweatshirt in their backpack or locker because classrooms can get chilly. Make sure it is labeled with your child’s first and last name.
- Spaghetti straps are not allowed.
Lunch and Cafeteria Procedures
- Students may bring their lunch from home or purchase one in the cafeteria.
- To purchase lunch visit https://paypams.com to set up an account for your child. They will receive a PIN number to use when purchasing lunch.
- Teachers drop off their class in the cafeteria. Mohawk staff supervises the cafeteria and are able to help students that need assistance.
- Your child will need to bring two snacks each day in Kinder and one snack per day in all other grades. Please make sure they are not messy and your child is able to open them independently. Snacks should be separate from the lunch box.
- Water bottles are allowed inside the classroom. They can be taken to lunch with them.
- If you want to visit for lunch, you will need to complete a background check through RISD at risd.voly.org. Sign in at the front office and join your student at the visitor’s tables in the front of the cafeteria.
- No lunch visitors until after Labor Day so we can learn the rules and procedures in the cafeteria. We do not allow lunch visitors during STAAR testing.
- During the 2021-2022 school year a temporary wall is in place so that the construction crew can continue to work on expanding the cafeteria during the school year. Space will be very limited and parents will not be able to join their student in the cafeteria for lunch. Parents may check out their student and have a picnic lunch on the front lawn instead.
- School supplies can be purchased through the PTA at the end of every school year. Pre-ordered supplies are distributed to your child's classroom before the first day of school. This is a convenience for Mohawk families and preferred by teachers.
- If you did not purchase a supply pack, please purchase the items listed for your child's grade and bring with them on the first day of school. Click here to view the current school supply list.
- Kindergarten teachers usually organize all of the supplies together and replenish as needed.
Back Pack suggestions
- Water bottle
- Light jacket or sweater
- Lunch box
- Change of clothes to store in locker
Medication at School
- Please contact the School Nurse. You will need to complete the proper forms and discuss specific procedures with the School Nurse.